Saturday, November 21, 2009

Dealing with loss

We all get to deal with loss at different points in our lives, and each instance probably affects us differently. Last week our 11 year old attended a funeral for one of her classmate's mom who wasn't even 40. One of my team members at work also just buried her mother this past week. Over this past year people close to us have lost parents, grand-parents, a child...

When a loss is so final, lots of questions must abound such as 'did I call them often enough?', 'did they know how much I cared about them?', 'what was the last thing I said to them?'...

Then there is the fear or anticipation of loss. We met a woman last night whose only son is about to be deployed to Afghanistan. She naturally fears for his safety, wondering if she'll get to see him again. Some of our friends work in law enforcement and place themselves in harm's way every day, making their spouses wonder if one day they'll get that dreaded call. As our parents and grand-parents age, we come to terms with the idea that they are not immortal and that one day they will be gone.

I guess the question I'm asking myself is whether the people I love have heard it enough from me. If they disappear abruptly from my life tomorrow, will I feel like they knew how much they meant to me? Will I wish I had done more, said more, shown more while I had the chance... I know I would.

Some people are gone and it's too late. For those who aren't, I'm committed to making sure they know how I feel about them, how thankful I am for them. That's my Thanksgiving pledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment