Monday, December 8, 2008

In the 'I can't believe...' category


I can't believe we left Ireland and have now been in Texas for almost 5 months. I also can't believe how flaky my blog writing has become. I could argue I don't have time, but that's a lame excuse. It really doesn't take much time. Maybe I haven't had much to write about. That's also lame, I'm never short on things to say :-)
I can't believe our first born is now 13, got her ears pierced and is asking for make-up on her Christmas list.
I can't believe Merril Lynch's CEO has the gall to ask for a $10M bonus, after seeing the company's valuation and asset base plummet and laying off thousands of employees. That'd be like a salesman blowing every single deal in the quarter, losing most of his customers and asking for a full commission.
What I can believe is that things will improve. Not just because they always do. But also because there are blue skies on the horizon, even if the skies above are still full of dark clouds.
I do believe a new sense of responsibility and hope will follow this era of carelessness and lack of reality check.
So until then, I'll continue feeling grateful for all the truly valuable things in my life like my family, my health, my friends, my good job, our fun pets, our nice house, sunny days, etc...
Take a moment to remind yourself of all the things that are positive in your life, it makes the days a lot more enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dan, great to hear from you. To be fair, I may be harsh on Thain. I guess it all depends what his agreement was coming in. If he was given clear targets to hit, hit them and was promised a certain incentive if he hit them, then that's fair. But this sounded like more of a glod dig, at least the way it was portrayed.
    What's clear to me is that these CEOs are not some elite who are so damn smarter than we are. And am finding a troubling lack of accountability in some of them.
    So what is your situation then, are you waiting for the shoe to drop, or has it dropped already?

    ReplyDelete